Driver License Renewal
You’ve just realized you need to update or renew your driver license. Don’t panic! Before you groan about having to wait in line at the nearest DMV, take a moment to understand when it’s necessary to visit the DMV or if you can renew your license online.
Reasons to Renew your License
- If you’re preparing to move, don’t forget to update the address on a Texas driver license. You’re required to update this within 30 days of making your move!
- Every six years, your driver license expires and will need to be renewed.
- Losing your driver license can be quite a hassle, but you’ll need to order a replacement and obtain a temporary license in the meantime.
- After you’ve changed your name, either through marriage or another reason, update your license to keep it accurate.
Ways to Renew Your License
- Renewing online is fast and easy. What you’ll need: your social security number, current driver license or ID card, and a valid credit card.
- Call 1-866-DL RENEW to renew by phone. What you’ll need: your social security number, current driver license or ID card, and a valid credit card.
- To renew by mail, you must have received an invitation to do and follow the instructions on the form you receive.
- When all else fails, visit a branch in person to renew.